Wednesday, February 02, 2022

 

Wordle takes over the World(le)

 


Yeah, it happened-- I got sucked into the Wordle-verse last week, and now I am hooked. It only sucks up five minutes of my day, so it is a lot less intrusive hobby than, say, golf!

If you haven't tried Wordle, you should. Just go to this website, and you can play for free. There are no ads. Beware of fakes-- lots of people are trying to make money off of it.

The game is pretty simple. The object is to guess a five-letter word. You begin with a five-letter word of your choosing (it has to be a real word). The game tells you if you got any letters right-- a green background if it is in the right spot, and a yellow background if it is in the answer, but not in the right place. Let's imagine the puzzle answer is "SPENT." I might use as my first word (not knowing the answer) "BLANK." 

The game would tell me-- with a green background-- that there is an N in the answer, and that it is in the right place. The rest of it would be gray, telling me that B, L, A, and K are not in the answer.

So, next, I might guess "GRANT." Now, the puzzle will tell me that the N and the T are in the right place, so I have _ _ _ NT.  Hmmm.... and I also know that G and R are not in the answer.

For my third guess, I might enter "SURNT," which will be rejected because it is not a word. Oops. So, now I try SPENT, and I am done!

It's worth five minutes...




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#