Monday, December 06, 2021

 

A dark December

 

Last week, I asked people to haiku about December. There were three great entries, from three of my very favorite haiku-writers-- the names I love to see in the comments section. But one stands out for the story it tells. I wish more than anything that I had an answer to the question at the end.

Jill Scoggins wrote it. I met Jill when I was a law professor at Baylor and she was doing public relations there (she is now at the University of Louisville, where she is the director of external affairs). She played a big role in my maturing as an advocate-- she was the one who encouraged me to write short-form pieces and agree to media appearances about the things I cared most about. It was a move that expanded my audience from a handful of academics (the people who read law review articles) to, at times, millions of people.  Her work really did change my life, and I so glad to have this continuing connection with her.

Here was her haiku, which is true and hard:

December 2021

My stepdaughter has
stage 4 cancer. She was told
she “only has months.”

When did it become
OK for children to die
before their parents?

Who made that a thing?
I wasn’t consulted. It
Isn’t at all fair.

My beautiful, smart,
kind, funny, compassionate
stepdaughter prob’ly

Won’t see the new year.
Who said that was OK? Not
me. Not her father.

We did not get a
vote. We wait and wait, hoping
for a miracle.

I hear Matthew’s verse:
“My God, my God, why hast thou
forsaken me?” WHY?





Comments:
Mark, your words warm my heart. I had no idea I was that instrumental in helping you communicate to the wider world. Thank you so very much.

And to everybody - you probably can tell, my haiku just came gushing out of me. I never want to be a Debbie Downer but this December is ... well just awful. Thank you for letting me vent it here.
 
Oh, Jill. You and your family are dearly loved.
 
Perhaps Osler can put together a prayer list for those who read his posts.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#