Sunday, November 28, 2021

 

Sunday Reflection: The Natural World

 

I know people who see preserving the environment as a Christian imperative. I struggle to get there, though, at least the way that they express it-- usually through inference and a fair amount of quoting the Old Testament. If you know me at all, you know that my faith is rooted in the Gospels and what Jesus actually taught; I don't have a lot of need for the rest of it, except as context (which, of course, can be important). I worship Jesus, not the Bible.
 
There is this deep sense, though, in which I see things in nature as God's creation, by the method of evolution. It's intricate and beautiful and wonderful-- something that has been a big part of much of the joy in my life. It's the same way that I see the light of God even in those who are most reviled, those in prison. I know that does not make sense to some people, but I feel like it would make sense to Jesus, who told us to visit those in prison. Not just that, but that when we visited those in prison we visited him, Jesus. 
 
It kind of stops me from judging as much as I am inclined. And that, I suspect, is a very good thing.


 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#