Sunday, October 10, 2021

 

Sunday Reflection: The House Party

 

I was walking back to my car in a small southern town last night when I saw something I haven't seen in a long time: an honest-to-goodness house party. There was a band playing on the porch and a crowd of people jammed into the lawn, and they were having a great time. 
 
We are made to seek community, to sometimes do things with other people. For millennia, humans have been doing things in groups, gathering to feast, to worship, to make decisions, and to celebrate.  
 
And then, we stopped. We had a good reason to do so-- to save the lives of the most vulnerable among us. 
 
Now, I think, we are struggling to get back to community, in a lot of ways. I know that I am. I am not back to going to church in person, and it looks like the same is true for a lot of people. When I ask people how their churches are doing as they return to worshiping in person, no one has been saying "great!" It could be that people are making the rational choice to not come back until the pandemic is actually over, but I suspect that some people are perhaps just done with church. Time will tell....
 
 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#