Wednesday, October 13, 2021

 

Interviews


 I haven't interviewed for a job in eleven years, and I'm not planning to do so anytime soon. Still, I am immersed in the process these days. First, because I am on the hiring committee at my school, so I'm spending a lot of time on the other end of that desk. At the same time, I am preparing my students for their own job interviews.

This much is true-- it IS a lot easier to be the interviewer than the interviewee!  

But there are some more important truths, too, of course.

One is that too often people forget to explain the two most important things-- questions you should answer even if they are not asked:

1) How your skill set fits this job, and
2) Why you want this job in this place.

The skill set question is especially important in entry-level jobs, the kind many of my students are seeking after law school. There, they can't say they have done the job before (except as an internship or externship). That means that it is even more important to talk about skills derived from other parts of life. If the job requires people skills, then those years as a restaurant worker really do matter. If your potential job requires quick turnaround, then you need to talk about prior experiences where you had to meet deadlines-- and did. Rarely are you interviewing for the job you already have, so it is crucial to talk about what you can do. 

I am shocked at how often people don't seem to know about the entity they are interviewing with. Do some research! Then you can explain with detail why you want that particular job. It shows you have real interest, and it shows a skill: coming in to a meeting prepared.

Finally, there is this... sometimes getting the right job takes time. Be like Patient Bear, who might as well be waiting patiently for his job offer. I've been turned down so many times for so many jobs over the years-- and patience (and preparation) always paid off.  It can be hard to hear "no" over and over. But your "yes" will come.

 


Comments:
This is spot on no matter what type of job one is seeking. I am going to share with a friend who plans to re-enter the work force.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#