Wednesday, September 01, 2021

 

Discouraged


 

Back in June, when I took this photo, I was feeling pretty good about things. I was fully vaccinated, the pandemic was fading, and it was ok to take a little road trip. 
 
The end of summer has sapped my optimism.  The paper brings such sadness: Afghanistan, Ida, the resurgence of the pandemic, wildfires at Lake Tahoe.  I wish there was something to pin my hopes on within those pages. But maybe I need to look elsewhere.
 
I had my first class on Monday-- my 20th time teaching Criminal Practice. I wore a mask for the full two hours of lecturing, which is... hard.
 
But the students were right there with me, engaged and full of good questions. I felt the way I did in that first class two decades ago, realizing that the class is about the students, not the teacher, and how good that is when it works. 
 
And even amid the darkness, there is that light.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#