Tuesday, June 22, 2021

 

The Moon

 



The moon is nearly full. For some reason, I see it most clearly when the weather is at its most severe: the purifying heat of the summer, or the brittle cold of a deep Minnesota winter. I am near the ocean now, and the moon pulls the water this way and that as it causes the tides; it's not just an abstraction up there in the sky but something that shapes the shoreline near me in a different way every day.

When I was a little kid, I was fascinated by the way the moon followed me as a I rode a tricycle down the sidewalk of Harvard Road in Detroit. I showed my brother how it worked: no matter how fast or slow we went, it followed us. Then we went home for dinner, and reported our findings.

The simplest things in our lives, the things we don't notice for months, are always there, waiting for us to see. What a life; what a grace.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#