Sunday, June 13, 2021

 

Sunday Reflection: On dealing with hecklers

 Today I have a piece in the Waco Herald Tribune that is sure to make some people mad. I argue that if Baylor was really about being "Biblical," then they would either not have a statement on sexuality that condemns LGBTQ people, or they would have one that restricts sex to a first marriage, given Jesus's clear teaching on remarriage after divorce. Their current position-- designed around excluding LGBTQ people-- lacks integrity. 

I'm pretty used to having people mad at me. If you are a prosecutor and you do your job well, some people-- agents, defendants, supervisors--are going to be mad at you some of the time. I developed a thicker skin in those years.

Status quo is heavy rock, and many people are perched to easily on top of it. Change is hard, and fraught with peril. But we have to change, individually and collectively, if we are to survive and thrive.

Of course, sometimes people are mad at you because you are wrong, or insensitive-- just having people mad at you doesn't mean you are like Jesus! But boy, people were mad at him a lot. And no wonder; he threatened power. 

Comments:
Excellent column. But I do disagree with one statement: "...I know that Baylor will never actually amend its statement on sexuality to have integrity ...."

It's the "never" in there that I challenge. I believe Baylor will eventually do what is right. As MLK said, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”

It may not happen in your or my lifetimes, but Baylor, like all institutions, does change because its population changes. Old uns pass on, young uns take over.

I have faith in the young uns to do what is right. And if I'm lucky, I'll get to see it before I go to that next world.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#