Tuesday, June 01, 2021

 

A minute on teaching



 I'm taking a little break from profiling people today. I have been reflecting on my students though, all of them. Like a lot of people, sometimes I wish I could have done more: taught better, taught more, provided more guidance, spent more time with each of them. Sometimes I read tests and feel inadequate-- how did so many people not get this one thing I thought I taught clearly?

Teaching is the best job I've ever had (and I've had some great jobs). There is a reason that people leave other jobs to become law profs, but almost never leave a law prof job for something else (notable exceptions include Hon. Elena Kagan, Rep. Katie Porter, and former President Barack Obama). One reason is the agency we have over what we do; another is the importance of the task. I have never, ever, found a law prof who didn't think he or she had an important and fulfilling job.

We teach two ways: by what we say, and what we do. I always want my students to see me do things that are worth doing. I am willing to let them see me fail at it, too (I'm skilled at that, after all). It's worth it. 

I say it here a lot-- I'm a lucky man. And my vocation, and the students I get to serve, are two things I am very grateful for.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#