Wednesday, March 31, 2021

 

My students: Robert Callahan


 I'm devoting Wednesdays on my blog to profiling some of my former students, alternating between Baylor and St. Thomas.

Robert Callahan, Jr. came to Baylor Law after undergrad at Gonzaga-- meaning that he just may have his two alma maters facing off in the NCAA basketball championship game. 

Whatever they did at Gonzaga worked pretty well, because by the time Robert arrived at my class at Baylor, he was well-prepared for law school. I was impressed by him and made him a member of a mock trial team that I coached with Mag. Judge Jeff Manske (a team that included current Baylor advocacy director Robert Little). He was already a skilled trial lawyer-- principled, sharp, unafraid, and quick on his feet. 

He has thrived since then, both as a lawyer and a member of the Waco community. After a stint with a small law firm, Robert spent four years as a county prosecutor and then went into private practice on the defense side. He has excelled: in fact, in 2020 he won the Percy Foreman Award from the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association, recognizing him statewide (and Texas is a pretty big state) as the outstanding lawyer. I'm really proud of him and what he has done.

Perhaps just as importantly, he is often a voice of conscience in debates within and beyond Waco. (If you want a taste, follow him on Twitter-- @RCallahanWaco). That fearlessness and sense of principle I saw in him as a law student has endured and expanded. As a teacher, there is nothing that makes me happier. 





Comments:
I have known Robert for some years and find him to be a kind and compassionate attorney and citizen. He improves our profession and the community in which he lives.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#