Wednesday, March 24, 2021

 

My Students: David Best

 


I'm devoting Wednesdays on the blog to profiling my former students, alternating between Baylor and St. Thomas (since I have ten years teaching at each).

Yesterday, I got a message from an attorney in Canada who needed help with a particularly unusual issue. He wanted representation in Minnesota. That's not something I do-- I limit myself to federal work, and only take pro bono cases at that. 

But I did know the perfect person for the task: David Best. I remember meeting David for the first time and being fascinated with his background: an Air Force vet who came to law school after getting an M.Div. from Fuller Seminary and starting a church. He was smart, grounded, and capable of reflection, all things that make for a great student and a great lawyer.

David was a part of my clinic, and did a wonderful job there. I also asked him to help out on the Trial of Jesus project, and he played a key role. I found him to be adaptable-- even when I wasn't totally sure what we were doing.

After law school, David pursued a mix of criminal defense and family law. He is part of a two-person firm, Bushnell Best, and is the kind of lawyer I hope to put out into the world.

Writing these profiles of the people I've had the pleasure to teach makes me profoundly grateful; I'm a very fortunate man.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#