Sunday, February 21, 2021

 

Sunday Reflection: The Light Inside

 


Since I was a little kid, I have been drawn to the light inside a house at dusk. There is something magical about it-- this glimpse of a world that you are outside of. It's not like I was some kind of juvenile peeping Tom; I really wasn't interested in seeing what people were doing. It was the light.

I am still that way. 

Sometimes, at my best (which is only sometimes) I can look at people that way, too. Put aside whatever nonsense they are doing in that moment and glimpse the light inside. 

The Quakers taught me that the light of God is inside all of us. That's a revolutionary thought, that evens out the great and the small, the favored and disfavored. It changed the way that I thought when I went into a courtroom. I was the prosecutor. A defendant was there, accused, and a judge in a robe up on a bench, and some people in the back of the room, a bored Marshal checking his watch. All of us had that light of God in us, all of us. 

Walk through one day thinking that, and it changes the world.

It's my birthday today. And that was one gift I was given, long ago.


Comments:
Happy, Happy!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#