Sunday, February 14, 2021

 

Sunday Reflection: Life with and without music

 


Music is nearly universal. It exists across cultures, time, and anything else that usually divides us. It animates worship, lets us dance, gives us a sense of place and time. But... can you name a song that come out in 2020? I can, if I think hard and press my finger against my head (I do that when I think hard-- I suppose that I must subconsciously think by brain is activated by a button). 

 Something has happened. For many people, including me, music has become less a part of my life in the last ten years.

It is easy to blame music for the problem. We often wax nostalgic about prior eras. For example, in just one year, 1967, all of the following things happened:

-- The Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper" AND "Magical Mystery Tour"

-- Dionne Warwick sang "I Say a Little Prayer"

-- Aretha Franklin released "Respect"

-- Frank Sinatra recorded "That's Life"

-- Van Morrison recorded "Brown Eyed Girl" 

-- Dolly Parton joined Porter Wagoner's band (pictured above)

--  Phillip Glass released "600 Lines"

-- Nina Simone was female jazz singer of the year

And that's just a bit of what happened. But 2020? Hmmmm...

 Part of what has changed is the role that radio plays in our lives. In 1968 through my own young adulthood, you always heard new music on the radio (if you listened to, say, WABX in Detroit). Now, radio is mostly people yelling about politics and a few stations playing country (which has remained vibrant, as has hip-hop) or music from, like, 1967. 

 Formats changed, too-- from vinyl to CD's to having songs somewhere in a computer someplace-- and not everyone followed along.

The truth is, there is still good music out there. We just have to find it. I know I am going to start trying! 


Comments:

I feel the same way -- I hardly listen any more, or seek out new music. But I have discovered this song by accident this year as I've worked from home, and now I can't get a line from it out of my head:

"I would beg to disagree/ But begging disagrees with me."

It's Fiona Apple, "Under the Table," from her album released in 2020, "Fetch the Bolt Cutters." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUxinJhntk

 
Mark, I share your frustration with finding “good” music on the radio these days that: A) I want to listen to, and B), that introduces me to new/interesting music. My taste in music @ 67 is not the same as my 35 yo daughter; we both love music, yet, our tastes often diverge (what do I know?). There is, however, a very progressive station I listen to in the car here in Richmond (and online), WNRN out of Charlottesville, with a good repeater in Richmond. I religiously stream MVY from Martha’s Vineyard at home and listen to it on the car radio when on Cape Cod; great station. MVY regularly introduces me to new music/performers that I make note of and later purchase. It reminds me of WCAS, a fabulous AM station in Cambridge during my College/ post college years (70’s - early 80’s), which reminded of WBCN in Boston in the early FM days before it became commercial … like what happened in recent years to KBCO in Boulder (which I used to stream). Your old college town has a another good station, The TIDE, partly owned by Bruce Hornsby; you can stream it in MN and listen to it on the car radio the next time we rendezvous at Paul’s Deli with Bishop.
 
I agree regarding radio -- the local country music station and latin station are frequently on as I'm working, much to my kid's annoyance. That said, I find the other best way to keep up on new music is listening to my kids' favorite music and spotify. My kids are into EDM, rap (a lot of which is just bad R&B), and some WHFS (old indie station) kind of stuff. There's a lot of great stuff out there, from deep lyrics to simply danceable. If you're longing for a great song that samples Chaka Khan from the 80s, check out Kanye's Through the Fire. For pure danceability, check out Jason Derulo's Take you dancing. And for pure latin genius, just add Carlos Vives to your playlist.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#