Wednesday, February 03, 2021

 

My Students: Michelle Simpson Tuegel

 

I'm devoting Wednesdays to profiling my former students, alternating between Baylor and St. Thomas. 

In law school, Michelle Simpson had an unusual background: magna cum laude college grad and water ski champion. But her competitive instincts were useful in court, too, and that quickly became clear. I met her when she took my criminal practice class. I paired the students up for exercises, and put her with Andrew Tuegel. So.... anyways, that worked. In class, she was talented and fierce. I was kind of surprised when I heard she was staying in Waco after graduation, but that quickly began to make sense.

 She got a job working for a very experienced criminal attorney in town, and soon was doing extensive trial work herself-- including on many capital cases. She was the right person for that work, and threw herself into it, with all the emotional cost that comes with it.

Eventually, she edged into civil cases, and now is one of the nation's leading advocates for sexual abuse victims. She played a leading role in the cases on behalf of Olympic gymnasts who suffered abuse at the hands of team doctor Larry Nassar, and has since represented people in similar situations across a broad range of settings. Her practice is truly national, and groundbreaking. She does a good job of explaining it all here-- and it is wonderful that there is so much to say!:

 




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#