Sunday, November 29, 2020

 

Sunday Reflection: Down and out

 


I should have posted this picture yesterday-- it is my dad's painting that inspired my Star-Tribune piece yesterday (see previous post). It sits over my computer at home, where I see it every day.

I'm blogging late today because I have been sick. Not COVID-- wrong symptoms for that, and I had a negative test-- but there are still apparently other ailments out there. For me, it was a really debilitating case of vertigo, where I could do nothing but lie motionless in one place for eight hours. As you might imagine, that's not really my thing, but I endured it and then got better. I have no idea where this comes from. It's the first time that anything like that had happened to me.

But, while I was lying there motionless in the dark, I realized just how lucky I am. Since I haven't had an episode like that before, I didn't really know what was happening-- a stroke? A heart attack? Some kind of severe allergic reaction? And in those moments, you think that maybe that's it, that you might just be dying. 

And I kind of thought that it would be ok; those I know and love would be all right, and I'm content with what I have done in the world. 

Then I got better. And that's pretty good, too.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#