Wednesday, September 09, 2020

 

YLS '90: Jim Brochin

 

I'm devoting Wednesdays on the blog to profiling my classmates in the Yale Law School class of 1990.

Jim Brochin was one of my favorite people to hang around with at YLS. I remember once coming across him as he was rollerblading through New Haven, and talking about hockey-- something we both found pretty fascinating. Jim was double-Yale, having graduated from the college in 1984, so he knew his way around. He was a great person to have in class, too: smart, insightful, and funny.

After law school he clerked for Hon. Kimba Wood in the SDNY, a prized clerkship given Wood's high profile and leadership in the bar. After that he worked for an Independent Counsel (but not that one) in the investigation into the former Agriculture Secretary, Mike Espy.

Since then, he has become one of the best white-collar defense attorneys in New York. He now works as a partner at Steptoe, where he has continued to be a leader in the field.

In addition, he has done a lot of work with the Innocence Project, which I greatly admire (but have never been affiliated with-- clemency work is more like the Guilty Project most of the time).  

If we ever get to have a reunion, Jim is one of the people I would most want to catch up with; I'm confident he has built up a pile of good stories I would love to hear. 

 


Comments:
Clemency work as the Guilty Project: I'd love to hear more on that in some of your future writing. Because I think it's an important distinction and opens up the whole idea of what innocence and guilt mean.
 
Megan-- I will do that! It is a really moving spiritual enterprise to dig into that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#