Tuesday, August 11, 2020

 

A worthwhile commentary from Desiree


Every once in a while I like to raise up a particularly astute comment. Today is one of those days, and the comment was made by Desiree (you might enjoy her own Green Momster blog, which is only slightly defunct), talking about the prospect of online education coming back at us in the next month.

Yes, things aren't great on many fronts and it would be nice to get back to "normal" and, more importantly, have everyone safe and healthy (mentally and physically). But I'm going to be a bit of a Pollyanna on the education front. I think we can make the online teaching bit really effective! It's not the same as FTF, and kids definitely miss being with their friends, but I think if we go into this fall with a positive attitude and energy, the kids can still learn. Hopefully, the majority of students will find their classes interesting, but we really have to sell it. I learned something about looking at this through a different lens at graduation. We felt bad that the students had a drive-through graduation ceremony, with stops for photos, diploma, etc and a cheering section of teachers at the end of the drive. Although it was an odd ceremony, we put our all into the event. Surprisingly, many students told us that they thought their graduation was more personal and nicer than their older siblings' graduations. Hopefully, we can help students have equally positive feelings about our online classes.

I agree with Desiree. I also think there is a very good chance we will nearly all be back to online education within the month of September....

Comments:
Perfect timing! I spent 5 weeks this summer in training for online teaching and this morning learning about our new digital textbook. School here is starting online for the first quarter, but I'm guessing that's just wishful thinking. I don't think we'll be FTF until January at best.

And yes, Greenmomster is asleep. I think you and my mom were the only people reading it :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#