Tuesday, August 25, 2020

 

A skewed cycle of time


It's August 25.

It's baseball season. It is also basketball season-- both the NBA and the WNBA. And hockey season. 

The Indy 500 was this past Sunday. 

School is about to start, or not, depending.

No one is really talking about college football. That's because it will probably be played in the spring.

So many things are out of sync right now that it is a little overwhelming. Personally, my internal calendar is a mess because I didn't get my usual week at Osler Island-- it is in Canada (barely), and the border is closed. 

Each of these may seem mundane, but together I think it matters. We are programmed to live from touchpoint to touchpoint, aren't we? And now those guideposts are all over the place.

Is anyone else feeling this?

Comments:
This was addressed brilliantly recently at McSweeney's. from "Frog and Toad Tentatively Go Outside After Months in Self-Quarantine" by Jennie Egerdie. https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/frog-and-toad-tentatively-go-outside-after-months-in-self-quarantine

The Calendar


Frog looked at Toad’s calendar. The April page was on top.

“Toad,” said Frog. “Do you think it is still April?”

“No,” said Toad. “I know it is August. But my brain feels stuck in April.”

“Mine too,” said Frog.

Frog ripped off the April page.

“Toad,” said Frog. “I do not understand time anymore.”

“Time means nothing now,” said Toad. “It is just the thing that happens between snacks.”


 
Frog and Toad are both me.
 
I am thankful to live in a place which has very defined seasonal changes. The tomatoes are ripe in the garden, and an occasional cool morning makes me look forward to the colors of fall.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#