Thursday, July 09, 2020

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: A Response to a Lot of White Guys My Age


Hi! I'm Mark, and I'm a 57-year-old white guy from Grosse Pointe who now lives in Edina, a relatively affluent and mostly white suburb of Minneapolis. I used to be a federal prosecutor, and also in the Rotary Club. I lived in Texas for a while in a neighborhood called "Castle Heights." Even my name, Mark, was used as a proxy for whiteness on Saturday Night Live.

Based on all of these things, people tell me things they probably wouldn't say to someone who wasn't quite so white. Often those things are racist and terrible. I spend a lot of time pushing back, with mixed success.

One thing that I see now is a lot of White Guys My Age ("WGMA") having damaging discussions with people in their families and communities. I'd like to address a few of those tropes here.

#1: The only people being discriminated against now are people like us!

Really, WGMA? You look around you and see bias against... us? In what possible way is that true? What is the last video you saw of a WGMA being mistreated by the police? We are wildly over-represented in nearly every position that confers wealth and power. White men 50-79 years old represent about 15% of the US population. The next presidential election is guaranteed to involve at least 75% people from our group (Trump, Pence, and Biden). The U.S. Senate is composed of +60% white guys our age. We control corporations, non-profits, state governments, and just about everything else, despite being one-seventh of the population. If someone is trying to discriminate against us, it hasn't been very effective. The truth, if you care to see it, is that bias against others has favored us at nearly every step of our lives.

#2: Hey, Black Lives Matter-- What about black-on-black violence?

For some reason (actually, I think we all know the reason), this is a point that White Guys My Age seem a little obsessed with. Here's the problem: what you are doing here is changing the subject. Someone you know-- a child, a grand-child, a co-worker-- is making a point about racism in America, often in the context of police violence. And then you change the subject by turning to black-on-black violence.  You are blowing right past the point they are making to launch into something else-- signalling that you don't care about the topic they brought up (or, really, about them). If your concern for the black victims of gun violence is really so important to you, then maybe what you need to do is pick some other time to talk about it, and then seek out someone knowledgeable to talk to about it- hopefully someone from the community you are apparently so concerned about. The conversation might involve delving into issues of poverty, racism, and gun policies, so be ready for that.


#3:  These rioting Millennials don't know how the real world works!

There's at least three things wrong with this one. Least important, if you are talking about college-age people, they are the generation behind the Millennials-- Generation Z. Second, and more importantly, these people usually seem to be viewing everyone who was out in the streets as "rioters" or at least complicit in rioting (one example here). However, of the entire group in the streets, very few of them were rioting, but many of them were protesting, and the difference is crucial. The former can be a destructive crime. The latter is a right protected by the Constitution, and one which has brought important things to our nation from the beginning. Third, it is much more likely that you don't understand the very real world that young people are living in rather than they don't understand yours. Think about it: They face terrible unemployment, disrupted lives, a deadly pandemic, and a historically unstable federal government. That's pretty real. And they understand us better than you might think; after all, they grew up watching us. If they aren't impressed, maybe that is on us.


Comments:
Haven't had a good laugh for some time, but your description of Edina as "felatively affluent" broke me up.
 
This is hands down the best summary of these statements I have seen. Hear, hear, Professor!
 
May I add another statement and response?

"'White privilege' is not real; I had to work hard for everything that I have." Quite likely true, but overlooks the effect of racism and other forms of white male supremacy: a person of color or white female, working just as hard, is likely to have realized less in the form of career success and financial stability.
 
Absolutely true, Dr. Price-- being advantaged by privilege and working hard can both be true.
 
Mark, good message. However, I noticed you did in #3 what you say people do in #2. You changed the subject. If the question is about rioters (very separate from protestors), shouldn't that be addressed without changing it to the easy answer of protesting. That demonstrates the point that it's hard to keep focused because the issues unfortunately get blended.
 
Actually, the questioner usually conflates the two. I will make that more clear. Also, I usually delete anonymous posts. If you aren’t a coward, put your name on it.
 
I found this true and thought provoking and applies equally to WWMA (same as yours). I have gotten into discussion these past few weeks about the rioter/protester issue and the muddying of the two. I have been accused of "otherism" for using pronouns; sometimes the line between the two groups is virtually invisible or not observable through the reading of poorly written news articles. This is an interesting time we are trying to live through.
 
I still have a lot of waking up to do, I know, as a white 58-year-old woman, but one answer to the WMMAs is something I was asked 5 years ago:

African-American male: When you're walking around during the day, do you think of yourself as a white person? Are you aware of the fact that you're white?

Me: Uhh . . . well, no I guess I don't.

Af-Am male: I think about it all day, every day as I walk around. People look at me, and I know I'm Black. Did you ever think of that?


 
In the summer of 1996 I worked with one of the finest singers and human beings I know, a brilliantly talented African-American man. He opened my eyes to things I had never considered or had to consider... Must I consciously unzip my jacket, when I enter a store (so that I won't be perceived of as a shoplifter)? Has anyone in authority, such as a police officer, refused to believe me when I have told them that I am an opera singer? Have I ever had excuses made to deny me housing, when I arrived at a new location for an opera contract?

White privilege is real, for the exact reason that Amy mentions, above: We don't have to give a thought to *ANY* of those things.
 
This is wonderful. As a WGNQYA (white guy not quite your age), I fully endorse it. I think it's incumbent on WGs to step up and counter these kinds of arguments when we encounter them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#