Friday, May 29, 2020

 

Haiku Friday: Dark Times


Well, this is quite a time to be living in Minneapolis.

I was four and we lived in the City of Detroit during the 1967 riots. They left a hard legacy. Importantly, that uprising was born of police violence in black communities. I have seen this before. I am so sad that the cycle is repeating. 

So, all this, during a pandemic. It's a hard time. But maybe we still need to haiku about it.

Arc of history
Only bends if we push hard
We have all failed.

Now it is your turn. Just use the 5/7/5 syllable pattern, and have... well, just do it.


Comments:
Sorrow, visceral,
a society splintered,
Have we learned nothing???
 
1935
until a few years ago
didn’t have a clue

Then friends reached
out to me, only later
I saw them as black

That was just a start
I still can't put my head 
around their ordeal

I have felt some pain
It goes away but prejudice 
inflicts pain every day 

 
We have failed to see
Others as human beings
One currency: love.
 
Hard time, oh hard times
They say hard times never last,
It just seems that way.
-- Bob

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#