Sunday, March 22, 2020

 

Sunday Reflection: Virtual Church


I'm struggling.

I have connected with the internet via this blog every day since 2006, but I'm not someone who can sustain himself online. I'm an introvert, but I need to be in a society with people I can see and talk to and respond with to something that is funny or sad or thrilling.

As a teacher, I feed off of the energy of my students. I love to look out at the class and see who is engaged, who is upset by a rule or outcome, who is almost asleep. One of my favorite moments in class was when I explained the federal practice of relevant conduct, which allows someone to be sentenced for conduct that they had been acquitted of by a jury. Sara Sommervold threw both hands straight up over her head like Kermit the Frog and said "no!" That's a moment that comes when you see people and feel their mood.

Now I wear a headset like some kind of unlicensed helicopter pilot and speak into the void while glimpsing at tiny, almost indiscernible, moving pictures of my students. I am doing my best. It is not the same.

I'm doing it not just because we must, but because it is the right thing to do for those who are most vulnerable. I get that, and agree with it.

But there is a cost. And that will become more apparent as time goes on.

Churches are dealing with this challenge in a number of ways. Well, not a big number-- maybe two or three ways, actually. Most of them are having some kind of online service, where the minister will be in his office or her pulpit, alone.  Congregants are encouraged to sing along at home. It's kind of depressing. We were asked, after all, to gather in his name.

But, right now, we can't.  That is one of the costs of all this. In the end, I suspect that the social, spiritual, and economic costs of the pandemic will be all intermingled. Churches will close not just because they are no longer economically viable, but because they are no longer spiritually viable-- they will not be able to minister to those in need when that need is greatest. People will die alone, drift from faith, and despair.

Our fight must be against that, too.

Comments:

Two things:
1. Are you using Zoom? One consolation is the "Gallery" feature which--for those of us of a certain age--looks just like the Brady Bunch opening credits, and adds some lightness to the situation. At least, it works pretty well if you have a group of ~40 - 50 people.

2. I think some of the online, real-time streamed services can be quite uplifting and are doing a lovely job of bringing people together. I've tuned in to the National Cathedral's Sunday, 11:15 am masses. If the Facebook stream is working, it's wondering to see people checking in from all over the US and the world. Their service is nice because they have room to spread out and still have clergy and organist and a few beautiful singers, so it isn't completely unlike a typical service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFJE7js-4a0


Bon courage, as the French say . . .
 
Yes, using Zoom-- and it is the gallery feature that gives me the tiny photos of my students. I think I will check out a few of the online services next week... the one I checked in to today was mostly showing the ceiling of an office as someone behind a desk talked.
 
Online church is not the same as in person, but how wonderful it was to see those beloved faces! We are together, in person or virtually, and "When two or more are gathered in my name..."

Stop by St. Martin's online service. We also had virtual coffee hour after - Zoom will randomly assign you into a small group, but you can join other rooms. There are also prayers during the week.
Wishing you all the best.
Mary
 
That does sound good!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#