Tuesday, March 03, 2020

 

In the news



I'm all in on clemency reform right now. There has been a lot going on at the state level, and we are hoping things might get moving at the federal level as well. I had a piece yesterday about it at The Hill-- you can read that here.

Also, on Thursday I'll be in DC to testify in front of the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, which is having a hearing on clemency reform. I'm thrilled that they are going to pay attention to this issue.

The Democrats control the House, of course, and called the hearing. The way it works is that the Democrats get to choose three witnesses, and the Republicans one. I'm the person the Republicans picked, while the Democrats chose my longtime collaborator Rachel Barkow of NYU-- most of what we have each written in this area was co-authored, in fact. So... I guess this really is one area of strong bipartisan cooperation!

Meanwhile, I'm still digesting all the news on the election. My fav, Amy Klobuchar, is out. It makes me kind of sad. But there is a lot left to happen....

Comments:
Congrats on testifying at the hearing! If you're the one the Republicans called, maybe there is hope . . .

It is sad to see Buttigieg and Klobuchar go, but my two cents? Smart campaigner or not-- Warren, baby. She'll get stuff done and she has worked bipartisan-ly in the Senate. And she's a law professor!
 
Best of luck at the hearing Thursday! I'm impressed you'll be a Republican witness, I take that as a very good sign.

Given that my top two choices dropped out of the primaries the other day, I was hoping to catch the Osler endorsement this morning. Oh well, I suppose I'll have to figure it out myself.
 
Mark, as framed by my skewed view of the world (as you know too well), I find it a head scratcher that you are both Republican called witness and that you are working with the Trump administration on clemency. Yet the Lord works in strange and unanticipated ways. Gotta go where you are called to serve (I guess).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#