Wednesday, January 08, 2020

 

YLS '90: Martin Antonio Sabelli


On Wednesdays (with a few weeks off for the holidays) I have been profiling my remarkable classmates from the Yale Law School class of 1990.

The Class of '90 was full of sharp intellects, and none were sharper than Martin Sabelli. Among other things, he was one of the few people who seemed to really get what I was saying in my law journal note-- a fact I deeply appreciated at the time.  I remember, even back then, thinking that it would be really important that remarkable minds like Martin's work to the good in the greater world.

And--good news!-- that has certainly been true of Martin. I have followed his career from afar with great admiration.

Martin graduated from Harvard college in 1985, then took two years off. While my "two years off" at the same time involved delivering flowers and subpoenas in Detroit, Martin was off getting a degree at the London School of Economics.

After law school, he clerked for a federal trial judge, Robert Peckham in the Northern District of California. After that, he quickly gravitated to criminal defense work-- a place of great need in our country-- and became a national leader in that field while remaining in the Bay Area. Over the past three decades, he has served as a federal defender, a partner at a large firm, and as a solo practitioner, all while basically doing the same kind of work.  He currently serves as the First Vice President of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, which is the most significant organization in the U.S. for members the defense bar. He has trained other lawyers throughout the US and around the world in the right way to approach cases where life and liberty are at stake.

Though I haven't seen him since YLS, every now and then I hear remarkable fragments of what he is doing from others. You know that someone is doing good in the world when there is always an admirable story about him that comes up between mutual friends, and there is with Martin. I hope to hear more as time rolls on-- and maybe run into the man himself.


Comments:
You mention “delivering flowers and subpoenas in Detroit” as something of a lesser value than sidetracking for diplomas from the UK school of Pompous Academia. Why is running around, getting to interact and learn about real people (the kind that need to be served subpoenas and those deserving of flower arrangements) less than, say…a diploma from London School of Economics? Last I checked your record in doing good and having an impact is not too shabby. Pretty sure the people you helped couldn’t care less if you were a Rhodes Scholar that landed at YLS via Oxford, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford or a combination thereof. I’m equally certain they cared you cared to listen and assured them you’ll try your best to help. There is no academic curriculum teaching that kind of care for helping…sometimes one is lucky to learn it by running around delivering flowers and subpoenas in Detroit.
 
Thanks for that, M-- I will say that the people getting the flowers appreciated me a lot more than the people getting subpoenas. And when I got to YLS, I did very much feel like my experience on the ground was maybe not as valued as what others had attained at higher altitudes!

Also, I'm not going to knock anyone's experience in getting an education. If I'd had a chance to got to LSE, I would have!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#