Sunday, January 12, 2020

 

Sunday Reflection: The accidental preacher


My sermon from last week (on Genesis 4:1-16, the Cain and Abel story) is now available here. I hope you will give it a listen.

I got to give this sermon because I have the honor of holding the Ruthie Mattox Preaching Chair at First Covenant Church, Minneapolis. People sometimes ask how I got to the point where I am giving sermons pretty regularly.

My route there has been, well, irregular. I don't have a degree in theology, and only took one religion class in college. I'm not ordained. I don't pretend to have an expertise in theology or anything related to it.

However, when I was at Baylor I had the incredible opportunity to co-teach an oral advocacy class with two great preachers, Hulitt Gloer and Randall O'Brien. Let's be honest: I was listed as a professor, but I was a student. And for eight great years, I soaked up what they taught. It let me use some of the skills I learned as a trial lawyer and apply them to my faith.

When I moved to Minnesota, a few Episcopal churches asked me to give sermons. It was thrilling. Early on, I decided that it was important for me to be clear about who I am: not a minister, not a theologian, but rather someone from the pews who is struggling to understand and live out the teachings of Jesus. I never try to interpret learned texts or commentaries; I don't feel qualified to do that. I am, though, like all of us, able to read the words of the Bible and make what I can of them.

I'll never be a minister, and I am very grateful for the people who have that vocation. I'm grateful, too, for the chance to preach now and then,  If nothing else, it makes me think hard about my faith, and be public with my struggles.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#