Tuesday, December 03, 2019

 

Remnants of the Holiday


Yesterday at school, people were moving slowly. Maybe it was the big meals, or the difficulty in returning after five days off, or tiredness from shoveling snow all weekend-- we have been deluged, to the delight of skiers (which is about 97% of Minnesotans, including me).  

One of the things I love about Thanksgiving is that each of the days seems to have a significance; it is really a five-day holiday, with a different inflection to each of those days.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving should be called Arrival Day. When I was away at college or law school, that was the day I came back home (or met my family at my Grandmother's house), and it was such warm relief. So many others were doing the same that it was kind of a travel party. I remember taking the train from Williamsburg up to Connecticut on that day in 1982. Amtrak had lopped on every bit of rolling stock they had-- and back then, they still had old Pullman cars-- and people piled in as we rolled north. It was magical. 

Then we have the holiday on Thursday, with rest and eating and whatever else we make of it. It is a holiday with a lot of ways to show love. What's better than that?

Friday is Black Friday, of course. Folks either choose to shop or not, and are usually adamant about their choice. I'm a little in between: I am tempted to watch the crazy people shop. I actually went to a mall on Friday afternoon not to shop, but to gawk at the crowds. It was kind of fun, actually. People were happy. I was, too.

Saturday of Thanksgiving week is the best college football Saturday of the season. Michigan vs. Ohio State! The Iron Bowl! Minnesota vs. Wisconsin for Paul Bunyan's Axe! What's not to love? Plus... leftovers. Yum.

And Sunday is Departure Day, when the travelers leave for their own homes. There is a sudden quiet, bittersweet. Death is a part of life; Departure Day is a part of the best holiday of all.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#