Thursday, December 19, 2019

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Waiting for the person who will surprise us


Every once in a while, someone will come to me wondering why no one in the press will pay attention to their story. I hear them out, and often the problem is the same: Their story is exactly what anyone would expect. They are, for example, a crime victim who is still mad at the perpetrator. That's understandable, but not very interesting. No one writes a story about "Crime Victim Still Mad 20 Years Later." But if the crime victim is forgiving? Then it is interesting; they have surprised us through exercising a principle.

I'll admit to using this to my advantage at times. People don't expect my viewpoint from a former federal prosecutor, so I make sure that an interviewer knows that about my background. It's not irrelevant, after all: My time as a prosecutor absolutely informs how I view criminal justice.  And the disjuncture from the expected party line makes it interesting.

Watching the impeachment hearings yesterday (when I could stand it, which wasn't very long), I couldn't help but think it was boring. The Republicans were outraged by the impeachment itself, while Democrats were outraged by President Trump's conduct. There were no surprises, no unexpected bursts of moral purpose.

Famously, it was a break from the expected that brought down Richard Nixon in 1974. Republican party stalwart Barry Goldwater and his fellow Arizona Republican, Minority Leader Rep. John Rhodes, joined by Republican Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott of Pennsylvania, met with Richard Nixon and told him it was time to step down.

We live in different times, I suppose. But I am willing to be surprised.

Comments:

Yes! From the little I saw, and heard on the radio, it was really boring. That's what happens when they are all adhering so intently to the party's talking points. And I understand that, but it seems that talking points have taken over real discourse. And it's a toss-up whether having everything public and televised is a good idea.

I did enjoy, though, the quick moment just after Nancy Pelosi announced the first article had passed, when she put up her hand holding the gavel and gave the Dems the evil eye to admonish them not to cheer. That was awesome.
 
More and more I wonder if Nixon wasn't foolish for stepping down. I am no longer sure Nixon's actions were especially egregious compared to his immediate predecessors (and perhaps some of his successors). And I am not sure we really learned or gained much from that unprecedented removal of the president back in 1974. I am increasingly skeptical of impeachment as a remedy in our partisan political system never envisioned by the framers.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#