Tuesday, October 29, 2019

 

On the ocean


Last weekend, I went down to Port Aransas, Texas to meet up with Henry Wright and Dr. Charles McDaniel to do some fishing. It was an epic trip! We went about 30 miles offshore into the Gulf of Mexico, and the fish were biting.

I do want to explain one thing about the photo above. You'll notice that there eight kingfish (King Mackerel) and one severed fish head. As you might imagine, there is a good story there.

We were fishing for Wahoo early in the morning--just after dawn-- and I got a big one on my line. It took a huge first run, and then I fought him for a while. Finally, as it got close to the boat, it was clear that it was big-- at least four feet long.

Just then, a shark appeared and ate it. Just chomped off the whole thing behind the head in a bloody, thrashing mess. I reeled in the head (which still had my hook in it) and that was that.

There is often great violence beneath calm waters.



Comments:
That story better appear in a book someday.
 
Now that is a reel fish story.
 

That is awesome. A good metaphor for something someday . . .
 
Wahoo!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#