Sunday, September 15, 2019

 

Sunday Reflection: The unknown


For many of us, fear of the unknown structures our lives. We choose what we know over that which we don't, in so many areas: we choose companions who are like us, we live in places that seem familiar, we choose jobs that offer tasks we know already. 

I was driving with my dad in the passenger seat yesterday. We were out in the country in rural Iowa on a two-lane road and came upon a sign that said "road closed ahead." And sure enough, it was. There was a big orange and white structure blocking our half of the road.  We could take a long detour or go back the way from which we had come.

Or, I guess, we could drive around the barricade. "Just go around it," my dad said, "there's a little road just down past the barricade to the left." He was pointing to tiny lines on the map in his lap.

Which I did not do. Instead, I turned around and went back the way we had come.

Why did I do that? 

I suppose I might have too much respect for barricades. 


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#