Saturday, September 14, 2019

 

Something to think about...

Two of my sharper political friends, Ron Fournier and IPLawGuy, agree on something important: that  Democrats need to remember that we are still in a "change" election cycle, and that they lost last time with a status quo candidate. A "change" candidate does not have to be radical-- Pete Buttigieg seems both moderate and to be a "change" candidate, for example.

IPLawGuy called me as he was driving down the Eastern Shore with the top down in his unrestored 1971 Mustang.  "They're going to do it again!" he yelled over the wind noise and, apparently, rain.  I think he meant that the Democrats were going to nominate Biden.

In recent years, both Republicans and Democrats win with change agents--particularly those from outside the beltway-- and lose with status quo candidates.

Ron had this great observation on Twitter:

‘92: Change agent wins (Clinton) ‘96: Re-elected vs status quo foe (Dole) ‘00: Change agent wins (Bush) ‘04: Re-elected vs status quo foe (Kerry) ‘08: Change agent wins (Obama) ‘12: Re-elected vs status quo foe (Romney) ‘16: Change agent wins (Trump) ‘20: You decide!

Comments:
This is very interesting. I would like to share Ron's observation with proper credit of course. May be the change desired in 2020 is a return to perceived stability? Personally I think Buttigieg meets the criteria well.
 
It's great to see that pattern laid out. It's my gut feeling that Biden isn't the right person, although I think Christine has a point.

But maybe we -- Dems -- need a candidate who will excite voters and bring them out, and I don't see Biden as that candidate. Buttigieg yes, and I'm excited about Warren although I think her health-care plan could be a stumbling block.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#