Tuesday, August 20, 2019

 

So, I really really really messed up


As I mentioned a little while ago, IPLawGuy came up to Osler Island this year. In that last post, I mentioned going down to Grand Marais to meet up with him. I did, and we went up to the island and had a great time. Then, I packed everything up, locked up the cabin and headed home.

A few days ago, I was watching ESPN4, and they were covering the Washington Nationals' "Bullpen Cart Appreciation Day" during the Nationals' game against the Padres. They scanned the crowd of 627 people (attendance is off this year for a variety of reasons), and I realized I didn't see IPLawGuy, who is a season ticket holder and rarely misses a game.

That's when it hit me... I had forgotten to bring him back from the island ten days before.

So, naturally, I raced back there, jumped in the boat, motored over to the island, and there he was, sitting on a rock trying to catch a fish to eat (see illustration).  He had managed to survive by building a crude lean-to out of sticks and a piece of plywood. Luckily, he still had a case of Boxer beer and a 64-pack of Velveeta slices he had brought. Also, it turned out, he had killed a bear, skinned it, eaten much of the meat, and fashioned a hat, a life preserver, a pair of fuzzy slippers, and underpants out of the pelt. IPLawGuy, after all, was an Eagle Scout, and I suppose that training comes in handy.

He seemed healthy, except for a long scar at the base of his neck and what looked like a tattoo he had given himself of the Episcopal shield.

And yes, I feel really bad about forgetting him! Luckily, he is now back at his law firm, safe and sound. I just hope someone asks about his new hat.


Comments:
I am guessing he enjoyed the peace, quiet and solitude.
 
I was really impressed he managed to kill that bear with a pocket knife.
 
I thought he posted that it was a pen knife. Must have been a small bear.

 
The problem with this blog is that I cannot post my own photos. And I have photos...
 
And a knife

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#