Thursday, August 15, 2019

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Wither you go, principled Republicans?

I was fascinated by this New York Times article on Cordelia Scaife May, an idle heiress who turned into a rabid promoter of nativism, based on her belief that the United States was being "invaded" by immigrants who "breed like hamsters." She spent her half-billion dollar fortune on anti-immigration causes, and her foundation continues to fund the most rabid Republican immigration opponents, 14 years after the death.

She sounds like a dreadful person and the basis for a great argument to impose a wealth tax. I grew up around aimless people awash in money they didn't earn, and used that money to subsidize every kind of excess and stupidity.  It is not a good situation for them or for us. I can't think of one of these idlers whom I admire (though certainly I have met many people from wealthy families who have done great good-- some of whom I have profiled in preceding Wednesdays).

Cordelia Scaife May and others were successful in converting the Republican party into one that is thoroughly anti-immigrant, with a bitter hostility to both legal and illegal migrants. That wasn't true until recently-- but the transition seems to be complete.

Which leaves many people with a conundrum, I suspect. A good number of my friends who are Republicans have historically been admirers of immigrants (and even immigrants themselves). They rightly recognized the work ethic of immigrants, and the sacrifices they made for their families and their new home. If I were one of them, I would be very uncomfortable with the new views of their party.

Of course, no person of conscience is going to have principles and policy goals that align perfectly with their party of choice-- there are always compromises. But I wonder... will this be too much for some people?



Comments:
ps... sorry (in advance) for my rant.

(according to Wikipedia) Cordelia Scaife May (September 24, 1928 – January 26, 2005) was a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-area political donor, nativist, nationalist and philanthropist. An heiress to the Mellon-Scaife family fortune, she was one of the wealthiest women in the United States. *** yes that Mellon ***

I am beginning to think that as one ages and their world gets smaller and smaller that our brains retreat into the 'safe' and the 'familiar'. If you have been surrounded by rich, white people your entire life; well... It makes me thankful that I have lived, as an adult, in diverse, dynamic communities and hopeful that as I reach a more advanced age that my retreating mind will see more than rich, white people.

She spent her half-billion dollar fortune on anti-immigration causes, and her foundation continues to fund the most rabid Republican immigration opponents. Calling her a philanthropist is a stretch. According to Merriam Webster: Philanthropy definition is - goodwill to fellow members of the human race; especially : active effort to promote human welfare.

Really quite a despicable woman but she loved birds.


ps... sorry again for my rant.
 
What they do not realize is that they are the descendants of immigrants, unless their heritage is in the original inhabitants of this continent. Condemning others for immigrating is condemnation of their heritage!

Although, some of my ancestors were involuntarily shipped from the British Isles to Georgia for being poor and/or committing petty crimes common among the poor of that time and place.
 
The repeal of the "wealth tax"/"inheritance tax" was obscene and specifically designed to aid the super wealthy. Setting aside the issues with which this horrid human being funded, that alone was one of the many issues that drove me from being an active Republican to a disenheartened Republican and now a strong independent who writes checks to Democrats

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#