Sunday, July 21, 2019

 

Sunday Reflection: Things I have forgotten

I do not have a great memory. It's kind of a plague, in a way: I am terrible at remembering names and important numbers. I had to make up a little tune to remember my social security number, even. This has been true my entire life, and in my studies and vocation has sometimes put me at a disadvantage relative to those who have a photographic memory.

There is one wonderful feature to my forgetfulness, though.

It seems to be somewhat selective. I remember good moments with people, and sometimes my memory really embellishes it, too. It has happened several times that I have recalled a kindness someone showed me, and that person can't remember it or thinks I am adding to the story.

Conversely, I don't remember--with a few important exceptions-- bad moments. There are countless insults, awkwardnesses, and offenses that just aren't in my head anymore. People will apologize for things I have no memory of.

It's not something I do consciously, but if I could, I would. It has probably preserved a number or relationships and made me happier overall.

So, unless you did something big, don't think I am going to expect an apology. Instead, I might remember something great that you never did!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#