Saturday, July 06, 2019

 

On the roof



I recently saw the movie "Yesterday," and was really moved by it. In a way, it was like hearing the Beatles songs for the first time. There is a scene, too, with John Lennon, that I have been pondering ever since.

My gripe with the Beatles is that so rarely-- at least in their prime-- seemed to be a band, able to play a song in front of a crowd so you could see their dynamics and process. Albums like Revolver and Sgt. Pepper hid behind technology to some degree, and that both lent a mystery to the songs and a sense of alienation (at least in me). The Beatles stopped touring in 1966, so there is almost no visual record of my favorite songs being played.

The exception is the "concert on the roof" from 1969, and it is worth the time....

Comments:
We saw it on the 4th and were genuinely moved too (even though my husband is not really a Beatles guy). The John Lennon scene was everything I'd hoped a scene with him would be. And we were really struck by the couple with the yellow submarine too.
 
Yeah-- that was a good surprise when we found out why they were following the show!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#