Tuesday, July 09, 2019

 

I have a lot of questions about Goofy

I've always been a little curious about the whole Disney legendarium-- Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto, etc.-- that seem to exist as kind of free-floating ideas rather that characters with any kind of back story that anyone is familiar with.

For example, Mickey is a mouse. He has a pet dog, Pluto. That's ridiculous, of course, because the dog in a carnivore who will eat the mouse in any kind of a reasonable universe. Then, making things even more strange, Mickey also has a friend who is a dog, Goofy. Doesn't it seem odd that Goofy doesn't object to Mickey having enslaved one of his kind?



Anyways, Goofy presents all kinds of narrative dilemmas. For example, at some point he has a wife, identified as "Mrs. Goofy." But, apparently, they kill her off for some reason.



And don't even get me started about Pluto...

Comments:
I don't think I have the patience to watch these, but I'm taken in by "legendarium." What a fantastic word! That says it all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#