Tuesday, June 11, 2019

 

Answering the phone


Today I rode my bike into work. I love the ride-- I go over a creek (twice), around a lake, through neighborhoods, and down into the heart of the city. I forgot my helmet, so I was feeling vulnerable, but I was also feeling fast so I went quick and careful (mostly).

When I got in, my phone started ringing. All of the following called: a reporter from the Washington Post, a reporter from the Texas Tribune, a reporter from Vox, Weldon Angelos (a former client and current collaborator), someone who just wanted advice about how to help their kid who is in prison, a grouchy guy who didn't like something I wrote, my sister Kathy, a pro bono client calling from prison (interrupted periodically by a loud recording intoning "THIS CALL IS FROM A FEDERAL PRISON") and a student who had some questions about a job interview.

By mid-afternoon, I realized that my to-do list was not going to get dented.

But that doesn't mean nothing was accomplished. All of those people called about different things, and in a way that is kind of amazing-- what a great job I have!

At about 6:45, I hopped back on my bike and rode home. The sun was getting lower, and filtering through the trees. By the lake, people were walking or wading in the water. Sailboats were setting out, a class, heading unsteadily into the deeper water. It all was of the whole, and that was pretty good.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#