Tuesday, April 09, 2019

 

Time for Baylor to act like a University

For decades, Baylor has simultaneously done two things: Explicitly discriminate against LGBT people, and effectively bar any kind of meaningful discussion of LGBT issues.

Now, it seems that may be changing. The school has approved a talk on campus by Matt Walsh, a conservative who is hostile to LGBT rights. I am not one of those who say he should be barred from speaking; I am all for the right to be heard of those I disagree with.

However, If Baylor is going to be a real grown-up University, it now must allow (and sponsor in the same way) views from the other side.

Do I have opinions about this? Oh, yes I do. Have I written about it? Yup, in the Waco paper today-- and you can read that here.

Comments:
Good comment. BTW, if you haven't heard it, look up the candidate Pete Buttigieg's statement about his homosexuality.
 
“It’s hard to face the truth that there were times in my life when, if you had shown me exactly what it was inside me that made me gay, I would have cut it out with a knife," he said. "If you had offered me a pill to make me straight, I would’ve swallowed it before you had time to give me a sip of water."

Fortunately, there was no knife and no pill, Buttigieg said. Because then he would not have met his husband, Chasten, who has made him a better person, he said – and their marriage has moved him closer to God. The message many gay people get that there’s something wrong with them, he continued, “is a message that puts you at war not only with yourself, but with your maker.”

“That’s the thing that I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand,” Buttigieg said of the vice president, who has opposed same-sex marriage. “That if you have a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.”
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#