Sunday, March 17, 2019

 

Sunday Reflection: On Manafort and Justice



It's hard not to want to see those who do bad things be punished in a way that hurts a lot. That urge towards retribution seems to be an easy emotional response. Unfortunately, it creates a lot of harm when we punish people more than we should. It also runs counter to what Jesus taught (as do most other religious traditions, and many ethical thinkers outside fo those traditions).

People like Paul Manafort really bug me. A lot.

But I am not one of the people who think his sentence was too short. Instead, I think a lot of other people's sentences are too long. If you want to know more of my thoughts on this, I have a piece in the Waco paper today that lays it out. You can read that here-- and I hope that you will.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#