Thursday, March 21, 2019

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: The contenders


Who should the Democrats choose to run against Donald Trump?

Most of the Senate, several governors, and a bunch of once and current members of the House are already running, along with a Mayor and some misc.  Here is the current list of people who are officially running, according to the Chicago Tribune:

 Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, 
Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke
former Gov. John Hickenlooper, 
Gov. Jay Inslee, 
Sen. Bernie Sanders, 
Sen. Amy Klobuchar, 
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, 
Sen. Cory Booker, 
Sen. Kamala Harris
ex-San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, 
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, 
former Rep. John Delaney
authorMarianne Williamson
and former tech executive Andrew Yang.

We will probably soon add Joe Biden to that list.

My purpose is not to comment on the "horse race," which is pretty meaningless right now. Instead, I would like to list the top six candidates by experience and achievement in governance (which are two different things):

Biden
Sanders
Klobuchar
Warren
Harris
Booker

Yes-- all Senators. However, Sanders, Klobuchar, Harris and Booker all have experience outside of Congress. And the Senate is a particularly good platform from which to learn the breadth and depth of American politics. 

I'm inclined to pick my favorites from this list. Is this fair?

Comments:
Isn't the mayor of S. Bend Indiana missing from the list.

Personally I am only casually listening right now.

I think health care may be the straw that breaks them all. As someone on the ACA I want to see it improved. I would love to see universal care but I think it needs to be a transitioned with thoughtful planning. People of all stripes need to buy in. It can't be shoved down peoples throats. It needs to be a human issue not an issue of the left.

We really need to listen to people who are on Medicare to understand the pit falls; there are many. Medicare alone does not adequately cover someone with chronic illness. One still needs to purchase supplemental coverage to not go broke and that coverage is not necessarily cheap when you are on a fixed income.
 
I agree with Christine. I am on Medicare with a Humana supplement that costs about $100 a month, and I still have a fairly high deductible for hospitalization. Most scripts are free or cost only $3-$5 dollars.

I think a plan for reversing the deficit generating economic and tax policies of recent years is a must for a candidate to get my vote. We have an economy and tax system that generates and assists the accumulation of huge wealth, while holding many in poverty. After working all of my life, my wife and I get about $1900 a month in Social Security. Medical insurance and real estate taxes take more than one of those months every year.
 
Agree totally with Christine and A Waco Friend. I was on the ACA until recently and grateful for it, even with its significant drawbacks.

I agree with your shortlist, Mark. I like Buttigieg as well, but each of the senators is a powerhouse in their own right. My instinct tells me that a woman will be the nominee this time, and could even win. I like Harris and Klobuchar and Warren impressive and experienced and principled and strong.
 
I'd think Biden qualifies as someone who has experience outside of Congress. Being a VP is a good training ground.

But I agree with the other commenters. It's still increidbly early. A wait and see approach is where I am at. I have already donated a little money to one candidate, and I'm thinking about making similar donations to another two or three.
 
You're leaving out the most important news: Rock-Chuckin' Mike Gravel is BACK, baby!

https://splinternews.com/mike-gravels-viral-2020-campaign-is-the-brainchild-of-a-1833434906
 
I realize his chances are low, but Inslee's my guy. I want a candidate who's focused on climate change. All climate change, all the time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#