Tuesday, March 05, 2019

 

Flag hugging



Donald Trump is taking some flack for his flag-hugging at the CPAC conference last weekend (which was part of an epic 2+ hour speech he gave there). I'm not sure where I stand on flag-hugging. It should be noted that Trump has a bit of a history of, um, intimacy with the flag. Here he was last summer:



Is it... patriotic? Romantic? Just kind of weird? I do have to say that it is sort of compelling, in a can't-look-away sort of way.

It's one of those things that just challenges expectations. Of the many things we think of a flag doing, being caressed isn't one of them. It's kind of like Bible-dancing:


Comments:
I'd vote for weird. What I'm always curious about with Trump's actions is what part are instinctive and what part are calculated according to his audience. Maybe there's no distinguishing the two . . .
 
Given who else he has hugged and what he has said about some of them, I suggest that it is demeaning to the flag. After all, it is not fickle, sexually active for lucre, violating marriage vows, etc., like his other huggees.
 
I vote for weird. Also I’d call it an epic 2+ verbal vomit. That was most definitely not a speech.
 
Weird... But it reminds me of a Snuggle Fabric Softener ad.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#