Saturday, February 09, 2019

 

Speaking


Given that my vocation, teaching, revolves around public speaking, some people might find it surprising that I get nervous every time I have to speak in public. I'm naturally an introvert, and it cuts against my instincts to stand up in front of a bunch of people and talk about something.

My hunch, though, is that this makes me a better speaker. I think through what I am going to say and go in prepared; an introvert isn't going to go in front of a bunch of people and wing it. And because I feel awkward addressing a crowd, I try to convert that into at least an honest awkwardness, which demands some level of humility and admission of mistakes as I go along. I tend to scratch my head a lot.

Right now I am in a quiet place, writing. That feels more natural to me. Yet I know that it is imperative that I do what isn't so natural, and am glad for the chance to have this job that I love.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#