Friday, February 15, 2019

 

Haiku Friday: The basement


The most intriguing room in many houses is the one that is rarely seen: the basement. It is where secrets are hid, oddities are stored, treasures are hidden, and mysteries are buried. I took the picture here in a basement, and it has all the menace and intrigue I have found in nearly every old basement I have ever been in.

In Minneapolis, some people actually fix up their basements and use it as a regular part of the house, which seems odd to me. I would never quite trust that, since it is inevitable (in my experience) that one day water or worse will invade that space and claim it as a part of the underworld once again.

So let's haiku about basements this week: yours, someone else's, or one you have imagined. Here, I will go first:

My Y2K plan
Was a stockpile of good wine
Yes, in the basement.

Now it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable formula and have some fun...


Comments:
Your basement picture
Creepy, like Bill's, lowering
Basket with lotion
 
Old stone walls, home to
Basement hockey and Ping Pong
Family bragging rights (won)

 
Monopoly, Life
Risk, Poker, billiards and more
Games in the basement

 
Granny's basement was
dug out of the ground: dirt walls,
neat shelves, canning jars.
 
Dank, unfinished
Ping Pong table filled one room
Creature comforts - none
 
Old, dark and scary,
The ghost lived down there, cobwebs,
Mildew and spiders.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#