Tuesday, February 12, 2019

 

An impatience with gobbledygook


I like things pretty plain and simple. Like Big Boy here-- you know exactly what he is about (which is low-quality food that makes you fat).

Unfortunately, as an academic I sometimes find myself in a world where people seem to be just making up new words for ideas that have been around for thousands of years. I have almost no patience for it. Yes, there ARE sometimes new ideas and new ways of thinking about things, but that's not what I am talking about-- rather, what rattles my chain is the repackaging of what people have been doing for centuries and acting like it is a discovery.

And within the academic world, this happens way too often, and words start to lose their meaning. Those close to me know that I even have a shorthand catchphrase for this kind of thing: "Human People and Thinking." That's the title of a college class that won't get out of my head. It would be listed in the catalogue this way:

Interdiscip. 264: Human People & Thinking

This one-semester seminar explores the clashing concepts of humans and people, and maps their respective dialectics of thinking. Drawing on Diderot, Collingwood, Joyce, and Holland, students will develop their own theories of humanity/people/thinking rooted in the broad cultural context of the modern language vortex while mindful of the licit  semantics of time. The fulcrum of the semester will be an exploration of Hegelian trangermative unger and the theory of radical disentanglement.  Prerequisite: Interdiscip. 105: Thinking, Feeling, Talking.

Comments:
Where I grew up, the Big Boy had the best strawberry pie in season.
 
Yeah, I have no clue what that class is about.
 
Mark, I fully agree. In the same spirit, I heard a wonderful interview on NPR several years ago with Joan Didion (I think) … she talked about (a paraphrase) how the older she got, the more she matured, and the more comfortable she was in her own skin … the more simple and straightforward her riding had become. The more simple and straightforward the structure of her writing had become. Not simplistic … rather, learning to trust her ability to convey the existential complexities and contradictions of life in accessible language and accessible structure. I love this, and I often think about this (aspire) when I write.
 
Never good when one has to look up many of the words in the course description...

 
The Master of All Things English George Carlin still explains it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2PW1TqxQk


 

A vexed subject, yes . . . :)

That course description is BRILLIANT.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#