Tuesday, January 08, 2019

 

Best Concert



Every once in a while, someone will ask me what the best concert I ever went to was. Actually, it is nearly always IPLawGuy who asks me this question. I tell him that it was the Ramones in 1996, and he usually says something like "Incorrect," as he takes a long sip of peach schnapps from someone's  Hello Kitty water bottle. "The correct answer is the Skip Castro Band at the Wigwam in 1982."

I kinda understand his position. He is just sore that I didn't take him to that Ramones show, which was in DC. I can't remember why-- probably it was a last minute thing, or he was off in Switzerland or something. I was there for DOJ training. Anyways, the show was weird and amazing. For some reason, it was in an old warehouse in Anacostia, a big un-air-conditioned space which was a strange choice in August in DC.

But, somehow, that made it better. It was steamy and hot, people were dancing all over in that bouncing-up-and-down way, and they played for two hours straight through wearing leather jackets the whole time. And they were on. The gap between songs seemed to be two or three seconds, max, and then there would be the countdown and they were roaring again. I'd love to see it again.

And you?

Comments:
Best concert? Seeing my fiance' Paul McCartney performing at the Astrodome in 1987. Swoon.

(Yes, he is MY fiance'. We may not be married in this life but I decided at the age of 5 that I would marry Paul. It can happen in a future life if need be but it WILL happen.)


 
Partially true -- I am mad you didn't ask me to go see the Ramones that night. I did see them twice, however. And your description of their show matches mine. Much as I love Skip Castro, I never thought of their shows as concerts, but more like parties.

Best show ever, however, for me was Los Lobos at the Boathouse in Norfolk. Or maybe Oingo Boingo at the same venue. Or perhaps The Jesus & Mary Chain show there.

Or perhaps one of the first four Springsteen shows I attended (at Hampton Colisseum and then the Capital Center) are up there too.

My first concert was Fleetwood Mac on the Rumours Tour and they were fabulous. Since it was my first, I had nothing to guage it by, but it ranks up there.

The Who in Raleigh in 1989?

The White Stripes were astounding at Merriweather Post in 2005. I've seen them twice and Jack White on his own -- all excellent shows, but the first time was the best.

Best show at William & Mary was actually The Pixies and Love & Rockets, with a close second to, of all bands, 10,000 Maniaces. I went in with low expectations but was blown away.


 
I saw Willie Nelson play at the amphitheater at the Minnesota State Zoo one hot summer night in 2013. My now wife bought me the tickets, because she knew he has always been a favourite of mine.

The amphitheater is an intimate setting. It holds maybe 200, and sits in front of a lake. The night was perfect. The fireflies floated around at dusk as Willie played.

Kassie went down front to get some pics from the front row. Mid-song, Willie looks down at her, smiles, and winks.

“Did Willie Nelson just wink at you?” I ask in amazement? “He sure did!” she replied.

It was a memorable night.
 

I can never pick just one:

Ozomatli twice in DC, at the Kennedy Center and at the Lincoln Theater. They give a fantastic show; you cannot sit still or even sit down. Horns, singers, saxes, dancing, Spanish, English, and RHYTHM!

Tears for Fears at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, 1984, made even better by the call-in-sick story I told so I could go see them . . .

And it's not rock but it was swoon-worthy and surreal in a satisfying way: Box seats (first and only) at the Zurich Opera, 2007, for "The Magic Flute." Small venue anyway, right over the orchestra and stage; set was mental-institution chic; friend and I just about fainted when the Queen of the Night stepped out of a huge steel refrigerator in plumes of dry ice to sing her stratospherically high aria. The audience whooped at the end like it was a baseball game.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#