Sunday, December 30, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: The New Year



As my faith evolves, I notice that it has a lot to do with cycles of change: redemption, growth, rehabilitation, hope are all part of it, coming in tandem with mistakes, stubbornness, brokenness, and despair. The low points and high points are linked; they rely on one another. It is that way in the gospels, of course. Jesus literally goes to a mountaintop before going to the valley, and enters Jerusalem a hero before death and resurrection.

That's why New Year's feels like a religious holiday to me. At base, it is like your car's odometer flipping to 100,000-- it only matters because we attach an arbitrary meaning to that one moment. We could pick any other just as easily. Yet, it marks the start of a cycle, and there is something to that, however arbitrary.

2018 was one strange year.

I hope that in 2019 a path will become clear for our nation and myself, towards something other than conflict and disunion.  And it is up to me to do something about that.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#