Saturday, December 15, 2018

 

A world built on gears



It's fascinating in a way that much of our world still relies on the simple mechanics of some simple, ancient machines: the lever, the wheel, the inclined plane, the pulley, and gears. I have always been fascinated by gears; maybe it comes with being from Detroit.

As he jammed the crash-box in his unrestored 1972 Dodge Challenger, IPLawGuy explained it to me: "It's really just wheels and pulleys, nothing more, nothing less." He pulled some more snuff out of a small leather sack, and continued: "I always drive a stick because it keeps me engaged with the road, and that what I..." That's when he went up on two wheels around a turn and I threw up on his handcrafted burl walnut floor mat.

But the point was made. Gears are cool.

Comments:
This video is confusing. It skips right over a fundamental issue - defining torque
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#