Tuesday, November 06, 2018

 

Update from my dad: "Vote for Jazz"



Yes-- it is election day! I love election day. I love going in to vote, and getting my sacred ballot. I love seeing the other people in the gym. I love the lady who says "good luck!" as she hands me the form and an envelope. I love watching the results come in, and frantically switching between three channels.

Of course, everyone has their own take on election day. "I enjoy it very much, also," IPLawGuy told me over the phone as he barreled down I-66 in his unrestored 1972 Dodge Challenger while drinking a Scotch of matching vintage. "I was just reading Daniel Fitzwater's epic tome about the contested election of 1828; I don't expect that you have read that?" I hung up on him and immediately checked out my dad's blog, which had some more direct advice. (You can see the whole post here).

Here is the beauty part:

All the candidates could learn something from listening to more jazz and less of the advice from their handlers. What they would hear in their local jazz joint would be a group dedicated to making joyous sounds together. Together they make the group sound its very best. What politicians would find would be that each artist will be  listening to the other and making everyone better. This is democracy at work
Successful jazz musicians listen.
Jazz musicians lead by example.
They give everybody a chance to shine.
They respect each other.
They judge people only by their ability.
They care about preserving the best parts.
Jazz musicians welcome the new guy.
Jazz musicians have something to say, and it is seldom about themselves.



Comments:
Preach!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#