Sunday, November 11, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: After the election


Elections do matter; that is one reason that I always vote.

But this might be a good time to remember that in our own lives, the choices that politicians make are not nearly as important as the ones that we make ourselves. My mistakes have impacted me far more than anything politics have ever produced-- and those moments where I chose well or persevered have benefited me far more than any act of a legislature.

Can politics fix global warming? Well, probably not. But our own choices matter, too. And there are times that the placement of responsibility on government feels like it is--in part--an abdication of personal agency. Yes, political bodies need to address global warming, but so do each of us as consumers and producers.

I am always fascinated by how people obsess over a relatively small raise in taxes, yet their own finances are a mess. Or how they might cry out about the civility of politicians, yet remain inattentive to how they are hurting others. And, yeah, sometimes that has been me. And it is important to remember that.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#