Saturday, October 20, 2018

 

Freedom is sweet


Ronald Blount served over 20 years of a life sentence for a non-violent narcotics offense. He was one of the clients of my clinic at St. Thomas, and for about a year, he called me every Friday. At first, it seemed like he was calling to check in on his case, but it soon became clear that he had a broader purpose: to check in on me, to encourage me, to give me hope in the project. There were some hard times, and his Friday calls helped me get through it working on his case and many others.

This week, I visited him at home. I met his family, caught up, and talked about food for a while. It was... perfect.

Not all moments are equal. This one was a rare joy.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#