Sunday, July 29, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: Destiny


At the event in DC this week, the undisputed star of the show was Alice Johnson, who is the most recent recipient of federal clemency. When she was done, she got a standing ovation. Part of what she said was this:

"I now know that I was not denied nor delayed clemency... I was destined to fulfill Gods timing and purpose for such a time as this."

I'm intrigued by the idea of destiny. I do believe in it, though I'm not a fatalist or a Calvinist. It just seems that some people are put in a particular place and time for a purpose. The road, in a sense, is prepared for them, and a cross appears for them to bear. 

In fact, I think that at some point or another we are all in that position. There is a task in front of us, and we are the right person for it. I have felt that way myself before (and, in a way, now): that I have not only a moral obligation but a faith duty to complete a given task. Sometimes it is hard, but almost always I start with advantages, many of which seem like luck or good timing. But is that all that is at play?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#