Thursday, July 26, 2018

 

PMT: On bipartisanship


Tip O'Neill and Ronald Reagan got some things done. That memory has faded in an era where each side seems to have as its primary goal to obstruct the other.

In my field, criminal law, we still see bipartisanship, even in the current toxic and divisive environment. At the event Nkechi Taifa and I presented yesterday in DC, we saw Van Jones and Mark Holden (of Koch Industries) on one panel, and me and Paul Larson (of the Heritage Foundation) on another, agreeing on what needs to be done and what is important: That the clemency process needs to be pulled out of the DOJ, and that clemency is just one way we need to reform a criminal justice system that incarcerates too many people for too long.

I'll be honest: it was like breathing out, to know that this is still possible.

This mess was made in a bipartisan way, and it must be undone in the same manner.

We are doing that, too.


Comments:
What did they agree needs to be done/is important?
 
Nate-- good point! I added a bit.
 
Thanks! Looks like I agree with them as well (for what that's worth).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#